Monday, December 04, 2006

getting a new look

Not me--heehee--my great room. After doing the blue/yellow color scheme for quite a few years, I decided to move on to something else. My hubby had our carpet replaced one time while I was gone to a little darker tan (to cover all the dirt!) and the yellow couch had to go. So I decided I wanted a black leather couch, loveseat and chairs, and a poppy red wall. Actually, there is a quilt I want to make with those colors in it--and why not change the WHOLE great room to match? That's what I thought! :) So, hubby painted the large window wall a beautiful shade of red (it's not bright--but not a barn red either)...we ordered the furniture and it's in place, I changed my Christmas tree colors from white/creams to all reds, including some oversized ornaments. The only thing left was all my end tables and sofa table and my pie safe (which had punched tin doors that my hubby hated-and wanted to burn!) that didn't quite go in my new room. The tables were all antiqued white and the pie safe was natural oak. I talked him into painting it all black. He took the doors off the pie safe and left them off and painted it all black. They all look fantastic! Just how I imagined. I then loaded as many quilts as I could in it and changed the location so it would be a featured part of the room. It looks so nice, all filled with quilts. Ahhhh, now the kitchen doesn't look so good anymore.......um....Kirt? what do you think about the kitchen now? Boy, doesn't one thing lead to another?

Well, I'm off for a little R&R with hubby in Jamaica. I wonder why I ever agree to go away in December, but actually it's a much needed break. And since I didn't get my shopping done, I think I'll just shop online this year, from a chaise lounge. :) I'll be back....probably :)

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a great holiday! The quilt cupboard looks wonderful filled with the quilts :-)

Carol said...

The pie safe makes a wonderful quilt cupboard. Have a wonderful time in Jamaica.

Anonymous said...

Love the quilt safe - I had that idea too, but... (we have too much else - like CD's - or China.) I only have 1/2 of a cabinet "full" of quilts...

"full" - I could fit a few more in there, but for now it only has 4.

Enjoy Jamaica!

Joyce said...

I love the quilt display. I need one of those and more quilts. Lol.

Darlene said...

Beautiful - enjoy the new look. A change is so nice!

Welcome to Jamaica, Man, and have a nice day! :-)

Tonya Ricucci said...

That cabinet with the quilts is so gorgeous. I'm envious. Can we see a pic of the rest of the room? I love the colors.

Anonymous said...

enjoy the new look.... and the holiday

Laurie Ann said...

Love the quilt holder! It looks great. I really need one of those some day!

Patti said...

Looks wonderful Karen! Now please share pictures of the rest of the room. I love the idea of a red wall!

Susan said...

The cupboard looks great with all the quilts - amazing amount of red and white in there. =)

A trip to Jamaica in December - what a wonderful thing! I hope you take lots of pics!

Clare said...

Love that cabinet and the colours. Have a great holiday.

Anonymous said...

Have a fantastic time! I'm sure the new living room will be stunning- i used to have a poppy red wall and black leather couch in my old house- and I loved it!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful collection of quilts in your cabinet. I think a picture of the room is now required after reading all about it -- maybe even a "before and after" shot! LOL.
Have a great vacation.

Anonymous said...

I want to see the whole room, and the tree, and the newly painted wall... lol

I like the way you put the whites and brights on the right side of your 'quilt safe' and the more muted colors on the left. Looks great!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, the cabinet looks wonderful, and all those quilts in there! Wow!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Mary Johnson said...

Love the quilts that are displayed in the cabinet. Hope you have/had fun in Jamaica

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a beautiful way to display your gorgeous quilts! You've really turned them out--my problem is starting at last eight at a time and not getting them finished!