Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Story of Grandma's quilts

The quilt on the right is a quilt top supposedly made by my grandmother (there seems to be some confusion on some of the tops she owned--they could have been her sister's and now they all have passed away and no one really knows). It doesn't matter that much because my grandmother is the one who gave it to me. Okay, I had to twist her arm--HARD!! And don't laugh, it's true! I sweet talked her, played the guilty hand, everything to make her give it up to me! LOL I had learned to hand quilt (the start of my quilting career actually) and my mother gave me a quilt top that was my grandmother's so I could practice, because certainly it wasn't that nice of a quilt. Well, I got it done and it looked great. See?I brought it out to her when paying a visit (she lived in CO and I live in OH). I asked if she had any more quilt tops and she said, "Yes, but I promised them to Mona". I asked her if Mona, my cousin, quilted? No, but Mona was to get ALL the quilts and ALL the tops because she promised them to her. Well, I did the adult thing and pouted and whined and cried, trying to convince her that she should give ME the tops because "I quilt". ;) I left her house that day with only partial Sunbonnet Sue blocks and a few odds and ends. I was bummed. When I arrived to my aunts house, she said Grandma had called and if I really wanted those tops, I could have them. I turned right around and drove back and got them! They aren't valuable in the piecing of the tops (which turned out to be quite the problem to quilt--and my Amish friend ended up quilting it for me--another long story LOL) but they were hers and that's what I cared about. Whew--was that a story or what??? Cut away from 1989 or so to the present......



I meet up with my cousin Mona after 27 years. She was JUST starting to get into the quilting thing and I told her the story about Grandma. And she was shocked! Not only did she not get all the quilts--she wasn't promised them either. Too funny. She did have a few, but not all that Grandma owned. Where are they now? Well, Mona found a few more in her Mom's storage unit and so graciously gave me the Glorified Nine Patch quilt top on the left. I went ahead and had my Amish friend quilt that for me too. And I didn't have to even beg Mona for any! LOL What a great find that has been--rediscovering my cousin. :)



6 comments:

Tazzie said...

What a cute story. I can totally understand your pleading, I feel sure anyone else would do the same. I wonder why she said she promised them to Mona though? One of those mysteries I guess.
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

~Bren~ said...

Those Grandma's get confused as to who is suppose to get what. I am sure she is looking down thinking those quilt tops are all where they are suppose to be. I LOVE the nine patch. I am not sure I have ever seen one like that. Both are incredible and I love the fan quilt too.

Granny said...

That is a funny story! It's nice that you received the quilt from your grandma, whether she made it or not. Congratulations on finishing the other old one. It's beautiful!

Joyce said...

I have two old quilts from my mother and they include the double wedding ring and the fan just like yours. THey must have been popular patterns back then. You were smart to cry and beg. Look what you got!

Gail said...

Terrific story and I love the quilts, they are wonderful

Mary Johnson said...

I know just how special these quilts are to you.

I already laid claim to the one quilt we have from my grandmother. She died at 29 (Mom was 6) and a couple years ago Mom's sister gave her a quilt that had been pieced by their Mom and then quilted by her. It's not particularly well made and I'm not sure of the pattern but I LOVE it and I told Mom that I should get it when she dies because I'm the one who taught her to quilt AND the one who does most of her quilting for her. (My sisters are in for a fight if they try to claim it!)

I was given a couple blocks from my grandmother (Mom's stepmother) after she died that I made into mini quilts and had Mom hand quilt. I gave her one and kept one.