Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A 'Green' Quilt Retreat


Just returned from our annual summer quilt retreat, this time held in Pawleys Island, SC.  We had a great week of weather and got lots of sunning, quilting, catching up with old friends and of course, lots of good eating!  I was in charge of the retreat theme this year and chose "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" as the theme.  I gave everyone a recyclable Home Goods bag filled with more bags.  I filled those zippered bags that sheet sets come in with older Home Dec fabric and other misc. fabrics.  I threw in zippers and thread  and a WalMart bag.   Then told everyone to make their own grocery bag, using the WalMart bag as a pattern. I encouraged them to make other bags using up the zippers.  Some decided to tear out the good zipper in the plastic sheet bag to create other bags.  When I spied someone being 'green', they got a prize out of my prize  bag.  Some were, ahem, recycled.  hee hee  and others were 'green' products, like a bamboo cutting board.


Bad news, I did not take ONE picture!  I know, bad blogger.  But we did have a serendipitous moment.....that went perfectly with our theme.  The Quilts of Gee's Bend was on exhibit at the Art Gallery in Myrtle Beach!  What a perfect field trip showing how these women really knew how to use up everything they could get their hands on.  I had some ambivalent feelings about the exhibit, thinking why would I want to go see...hmm..how to say this nicely.....quilts that were not the most perfectly made.  But their stories....their perseverance....their creativity and their ARTISTRY floored me!  There might have been a few 'clunkers', so to speak, but there were so many others that really had a modern, liberated look that so many quilters are emulating today.  Is their knowledge of art learned?  innate?  However they came up with their designs, it was truly a fun exhibit to see and I'm so glad that I arranged for this to be here this exhibit was here during our retreat. Okay, I lie...but how lucky for us to see these quilts, no matter what our theme! If you get a chance to see this exhibit, it will be worth your while.


3 comments:

Sarah Craig said...

I love the Gee's Bend quilts - I think they totally represent the reason quilts were created in the first place - to provide warmth, to make use of every resource available in a time when resources weren't nearly as plentiful as they are today, and to allow their creators a creative outlet! Sometimes I think we miss out on so much by buying all new fabric to create a quilt.....

Unknown said...

I saw the Gee's Bend exhibit when it was in Cleveland about 6 yrs. ago. Those ladies sure knew how to do with what they had and it usually wasn't much! Glad you were able to see it with your friends.

Chocolate Bark Recipes said...

Nicce post