Tuesday, November 09, 2010

On a search for new quilting inspirations...


What do you do when you want new inspirations for quilts?  I tend to look at tile work..in public restrooms, churches, cathedrals and floors.  I found a new source!   On our annual holiday..no business, just relaxing, etc., we take daily walks and look what we found along the WHOLE beach promenade.


This is on Copacabana Beach...in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, South America.   Now why on earth did I think it was in Cuba?  Geez, that's why I have to travel, so I can learn geography first hand! LOL  All the sidewalks here on the main drag in front of the beach are mosaics like this, on the boardwalk is this particular design. It is a pavement landscape in large scale (4 km long). It was completed in 1970 and has used a black and white Portugese pavement design since it's origin in the 1930's, a geometric wave. It was designed by Roberto Burle Marx. Now....if you were to use this for inspiration, would you try and do it mosaic style?  That would be my first choice as it would be awesome...but wow, what a lot of work!

Now the second boardwalk, I can find NO information on, but yet I have to believe it's done by the same guy.  It's on the famous Ipanema Beach and it's totally cool as well. 

Very modern looking. Ipanema's boardwalk is not as long as Copacabana's, but it still is quite impressive. 

Did you know where Ipanema was?  We have all heard of it from that famous song, 'The Girl from Ipanema' by Antonio Carlos Jobim and Vinicius de Moraes in the 1960's.  I'm not EVEN gonna tell you where I thought it was located!  Of course, I was a very young child when that came out, so I imagined it  to be somewhere else, and that's my story. 

 The park right before you enter the gate to the beach.

This last picture was taken from the rooftop from our hotel, overlooking Copacabana Beach. If you look close, you can see the boardwalk.

Now if I could only speak Portugese or at least read it to see if they had any fabric shops.  I did find one, but it was a bridal shop with bridal fabrics.  hmmm, not the kind of fabric for which I was looking. 

Telcido..that's the word I'm supposed to be looking for....think I'll find any?


No comments: