Monday, May 05, 2008

Stash Busting at it's best!

Wow--nothing like having a cousin who likes to organize! My cuz, M, from Colorado flew out for our reception for Ted and stayed the rest of the week. And being the organizer that she is, she offered to help me organize my fabric stash closet. I think it made her a little edgy to see such a chaotic mess! Folding, using the ruler method like the Happy Zombie, made all the stacks of fabric nice and neat. I ended up folding my FQ's and putting them in plastic shoe boxes. The stacks were little, but tall and kept falling over. So this way I can pull a shoe box of FQ's out according to color and still keep them nice and neat. 33 of them to be exact! And I could fit 10 yards worth of FQ's in each box!
Looking good, huh? 3 days of folding EVERY piece of fabric and sorting and it's now done! Wonder how long it will stay like this? LOL I'm hoping that since it's done now, it will be easier to keep like that.


So...how many margaritas DOES it take to make a closet look good? LOL Good job Mona! Thanks for all your help and perserverance in getting this done. I figured it was going to be an all summer project for me. And there was even a bonus attached--I was able to purge 116 yards of fabric!! Add that to the .11 3/4 yards that I have used the week of 4/7 for purses/borders and baby quilts and 9 3/4 yards for the week of 4/14 for backings and a new quilt, that makes 203 YARDS of fabric busted from my stash year to date!! I do have to admit to buying 9 yards of fabric at the Paducah show--but that is SO much better than the past for me. AND, I thought about it for a day before I went back and bought it. I have been really good at using self restraint when it comes to fabric buying. Now...food? A whole 'nother story!! LOL

Fabric busted: YTD 203
Fabric bought: YTD 9
Net busted: YTD 194 yards and there STILL are no empty spots on the shelves!

14 comments:

Vicki W said...

Your fabric closet looks like something from a magazine! It's beautiful! What a friend you have. Awesome, awesome, awesome stash busting too!

tami said...

Great job organizing and congratulations on the amazing amount of stash busted.

loulee said...

Wow thats a neat cupboard. I envy you your range of fabrics, being a relative newbie I'm still having to buy things to make even a small project.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Wow it looks fab! I used the Happy Zombie method too and I'm still keeping it looking good...well so far! ;o)

Sølvis blog said...

What a great job she did with your fabrics. I would like to see a picture og the closet a year from now!

Helen in the UK said...

The 'before' picture looked like a very daunting task ... what a difference a commited cousin and 3 days makes!!! Woo-hoo!!!! Now it looks FABULOUS and you should be able to find anything you need. It will make using even more stash a breeze!! Let's hope it stays this good :)

Nana's Quilts said...

Nicely done. I did that once, but alas chaos reigns again. Maybe I will get it done before Caro arrives in September. Wanna come help?
Good quilting.
Marne

Michelle said...

Wow...what an amazing difference! You have an awesome stash by the way!

Sweet P said...

Wow! Cuz M did a marvelous job.

Silverthimble said...

Does your cousin hire out? She could have another career visitin all of our stash closets and organizing them just she did at your house! LOL

ForestJane said...

Now, you want my address to send me the box of stuff you purged? I'd gladly pay shipping. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow what a difference,you have a great cousin. Your closet is awesome.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your closet looks incredible! And I must admit I'm a teensy bit covetous of your stupendous collection of fabric. :)

Anonymous said...

And this is how it works: reading your blog, and then getting two closets with special narrow drawers for my fabric. Using the method, me feeling proud of the neat drawers and boxes with fabric. Allthough my 2 drawers and 3 small boxes are nothing compared to your stash.;-)

And that's how you export to Holland! Thanks for sharing!
Annemart