Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Challenge updates

Here is the start of my X's and O's--part of Tonya's challenge. They are going to be part of my Quilt Pink quilt, so I just had to make samples. I'm going to have the non-quilter's make the 4-patches and the quilter's learn Tonya's technique to make the x's and o's. I am putting a center block in with a vase of flowers and will put a flower in the vase for each person that has succumbed to Breast cancer/ or have survived. So, if you have a name you would like me to add, please feel free to email me. I love the black background that I chose for sashing (I will fussy cut them so all the words are going the same way--I was just trying to get a feel for how it would look). The words on the fabric say: "Creative Hands Touch Hearts" and I think it fits our theme very well.
This is part of Judy's one-hour challenge. I have been sewing at least 4-5 hours a day, but on other things. I'm trying to squeeze this one in too. I like the looks of it, although the fabrics don't thrill me very much. But I'll be proud to donate this one to someone.












This is my sewing room as I am sitting at my machine. The design wall is on the right, the pink wall is my walk-in closet filled with fabric--along with the ironing center/wire baskets. You can partly see my tubs under the work table filled with scraps. I have two drawer units with scraps that are already cut into strips. I found a neat site that had all kinds of people's sewing rooms. It's called Real Sewing Rooms. I added the link of my studio to it, but I don't think it's on there yet. There were some awesome rooms, with a couple of professional quilters and then some really messy ones, and then the tiny rooms that cleverly managed to get it all in. Quite fun to be a peeping tom.

18 comments:

Melzie said...

I love that link :) Thanks for sharing. xoxo melzie

Hedgehog said...

What a gorgeous work space!! Thanks for sharing. I will email you with a name, too.

Bonnie said...

Thanks for the link to the sewing rooms. What fun - I think I will spend a lot of time looking. Your sewing room looks great - well planned, cheerful, and a great use of space.

Fiona said...

Thanks for the link to the sewing room site - I just love looking at where other people sew.

Darlene said...

Love your sewing room - thanks for sharing. BTW, great use of your space. I'm going to go play "peeping tom" and prowl through others. LOL

Darlene said...

Karen, I'm leaving right now, so expect me real soon - I'm coming to play in your Studio. It's magnificent!!!

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Wow - you have a fun sewing space! And I really like the fabrics you are using for the "one hour quilt"! Pretty!

Cheers!

Evelyn

Carol said...

What a wonderful sewing room! Thanks for sharing...your One Hour Quilt is really fun.

Laurie Ann said...

Love the pink wall! And the TV up on the corner of the room is a good idea. I would like to have a little tv/dvd player in my studio. Maybe some day!

Tazzie said...

You sure have been busy, that's a lot of piecing you've been working on! And thannk you for the peep into your sewing room!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Susan said...

I love your sewing space. Did I understand correctly? Your ironing space is in the closet?

You've been sewing a lot of wonderful things! Thanks for the Quilt Pink idea. I'm going to pick up a kit tomorrow at Dakota Cabin Quilts, even though August isn't technically over. I have to go to the doctor, and it's 25 miles, so I'm not going back on Friday! 30 days is long enough. =)

I'd love to have you put my mother's name on, Dorothy Covey, 1957.

I think the Hour quilt is wonderful, and wherever it's donated, it will be well received.

Passionate Quilter said...

Susan--no--the ironing system is on the right side of the work table with the wire baskets that are stuffed with fabric! LOL sorry, I didn't explain that very well in my post.

Mary Johnson said...

I thought about using Tonya's blocks for my Quilt Pink quilt (I'm just going to make a quilt and donate it rather than participating with a shop) but decided to use Judy's 1 hour quilt pattern.

I don't have as much time to quilt right now in part because I'm *training* to do the 3 Day Breast Cancer walk in October so I'm combining my desire to make a quilt to donate and my desire to play along with everyone else and make Judy's quilt.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the links to the sewing rooms.

Shelina said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shelina said...

I am amazed at the people who are able to work on both projects - Judys and Tonyas. I'm hanging my head in shame because I haven't done either. Both of yours are great, and you are making good progress on both of them.

Shelina said...

I am amazed at the people who are able to work on both projects - Judys and Tonyas. I'm hanging my head in shame because I haven't done either. Both of yours are great, and you are making good progress on both of them.

Tonya Ricucci said...

ooh, fun Hugs and Kisses - that's going to be a great Quilt Pink project. I envy your cutting table and ironing center - you have room to spread out.