Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Fun in the Sun

**blogger isn't playing nice and won't post my pictures--I'll post them later**

what a whirlwind these last 2 weeks have been. I came home from SC with a friend, we played in my studio in the morning and then I took her to some quilt shops (yes, I bought some--but that was in JULY!), my parents came in the next day, was at my daughter's graduation party the entire next day, went to my other daughter's birthday party and then left with my dh, dd and dgd for SC again. We started another quilt for her, a strippy quilt with darling cats. She is cutting out designs from a coordinating fabric to make new strips. We tried to work every morning after my bike ride and before we went swimming. It's hard for a 5 year old to concentrate too long on quilting (which she loves) when the pool or beach is calling her name. As you can see by her attire, she was ready to go! She really is good though--although quite strong in her opinions on how things should be. She certainly has a strong will! :) I was trying to show her balance in design, but she had her own ideas on where to place the objects, and since it's her quilt, I let her do her own thing. I vacillate between teaching her about design, balance, color, etc. and letting her do whatever her little creative heart desires. That's what wins out every time. After all, it's her quilt--and what are rules anyway? I'd rather encourage her to be creative and do things that make her happy and learn the "rules" later. If she wants to cut a cat up to get a design element out of it--so what? I thought that was very creative. She saw something in one of the cats that she wanted and so she cut it up. I love her creativity and willing to do anything. I hope she doesn't ever lose that part of her.

I did get to work a little bit each night on my Flamingo Lounge quilt. Our Friday night quilt group is having our summer retreat in a few weeks and I'm helping the hostess with this year's theme--"Welcome to the Flamingo Lounge". We have lots of fun stuff planned and when I saw this quilt, I knew I had to make it. I am changing the borders and making some of Tonya's free form letters.

Obviously I didn't get much computer time at all. So I have spent a good deal of time this morning catching up on everyone. Looks like quite a few are playing the "No new fabric for August" game and even going the extra step with Nancy in not buying ANY quilting things. I've done good so far. :) Okay, it's not hard when you are playing the whole time with a 5 year old...no shopping and no internet time. But I know I can do it. I have gone months sometimes without buying, so when I DO buy, I make up for lost time! Oh, I did stop at a quilt store to get a little gizmo to change my light bulb in my sewing machine. What an ordeal that has been. Only 2 months after having my machine serviced (and supposedly he replaced the light bulb), it went out. I live about 1-1 1/2 hours from the dealer, so it's not an easy thing to go get one. I finally made it down there after sewing with the OTT Lite right next to me for 2 months. When I got home, it was the wrong one! So, I made another trek back a few weeks later, only to be told they don't carry the one I want (hmmm, why didn't they tell me that the first time and give me the wrong one?), and if I paid in advance and paid shipping, they would send one to me after they ordered it. I told them I didn't think I should have to pay shipping, it was their mistake they gave me the wrong one and it just cost me $20 in fuel to return it! I told them to forget it, there is a quilt shop on my way to SC, so conveniently located less than 5 minutes off the interstate. They are also a Pfaff dealer, so that's what I did. Got the bulb home, and now cannot get it in! GGGRRRR! So, I called them to find out the trick and they told me it really is easier with the "light bulb inserter". Okay, so stopped again and got it. I haven't tried it yet. Sorry, just got WAY off track, but it reminded me WHY I had to stop at the quilt store. And my point is....I didn't buy fabric....and they have such nice stuff. But didn't even look. *grin*

2 comments:

Linda C said...

I never know what that gray rubber thing was with my Viking until I had to finally replace the bulb. Thank heavens I didn't pitch it!!

Sounds like your Pfaff had something similiar as there is no way to get your fingers in there to pry it loose or pop it back in.

Tonya Ricucci said...

Flamingo Lounge is a great name/theme for a quilt. Sounds like something a friend of mine would love.