Sunday, August 27, 2006

my Open House

Swing outside my studio. My husband asked what I was doing when I was putting the quilt out there. I told him I was going to start decorating the outside of my house with quilts too!


Whew! What a week! I own a quilt studio where I teach quilt classes and host retreats. I am not a retail store as I didn't want to have the hours and responsibility of a daily store operation (although the appeal of ALL the fabric would have been great!). Anyhoo--I kick off my fall season with an open house/Quilt Show--featuring my quilts over the past year as well as my students--and this year I just couldn't do it. My front yard has been torn up all summer (we added a new Front porch), and my back problems prevented me from getting hardly anything done this year. So, I just had an Open House and showed the new class samples for the upcoming season. I considered not even having that and no classes this fall due to the continuing uncertainy of my back. But I would miss it way too much, so I thought I might as well forge ahead and deal with any problems with my back as they occur.( UPDATE: I keep hoping the pain/tingling will just go away! LOL My first epidural steroid injection took my pain from a 10 to a 3--which is a VERY good thing. But the tingling and nagging pain still exist. I'm currently trying ANOTHER medicine to see if that will stop the tingling. NADA..So I don't know where we go from here, but surgery is looking more and more like it's going to be what takes care of it. )
okay, back to my point.. I have been working hard the last few weeks making samples for classes I'm offering this fall. Only one didn't get completed--so that's not too bad. I am offering 21 classes, 3 PJ Quilt Parties and one retreat. Plus I'm doing Quilt Pink Day. I had a nice turnout with lots of class sign ups, so that's good. Now I hope I don't need to cancel any due to surgery.

6 comments:

Linda C said...

I hope you don't have to cancel either Karen because that would mean that you had to have surgery. Still, I bet the people who attended the open house are people who have been to prior classes and retreats and enjoyed their time with you. They might be disappointed if you DO have to cancel but would certainly understand if that happens.

quiltpixie said...

would love to hear more about your business -- sounds more up more alley than a quilt shop per se...

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Back pain is just awful, so I hope that you are able to keep on top of that pain. Good for you for planning your classes - I took a peak at your website and it looks like lots of fun!

Cheers!

Evelyn

Tonya Ricucci said...

Hope that back pain gets resolved and you're happily sewing again soon.

Anonymous said...

Have you considered accupuncture for your back? Accupuncture is quite successful in treating some back problems, just a thought. I hope it gets better soon.

Mary Johnson said...

I like the idea of a studio for hosting retreats and giving classes.

When I was in San Antonio this spring I toured an Arts and Crafts school that had studio space and the artists or craftspersons also taught classes there. I think it would be fun to work in an environment like that.